Ever since my friend Pam started sending me new issue stamps from Canada, I've been searching for my huge collection of mostly 1950 and '60s stamps. My mother would cut or rip them from envelopes and, altho she was not a saver (like me), she put them in a drawer from which I absconded them a few years ago.
Well ... the other day, my sweet husband unearthed my ill~gotten goods in his collection of "things too good not to throw away". Needless to say, I was delighted as they make great additions to collages and are very sweet in tiny frames.
I look on some of these little treasures as fine art prints. Winslow Homer and Frederic Remington are among the art that graces some of these stamps.
And then there are the old Christmas stamps, the graphics so telling of their age.
Little engravings of dignataries, important people in our history and past presidents grace so many of the early stamps as they do today.
Here are a few international postage stamps plus some US stamps honoring other countries and their royalty.
So many of the stamps commemorate states and important events across our country and hold so much history in such a small package.
Luckily all this postage has been struck through with cancellation stamps so I feel free to use it in any direction my imagination takes me.






2 comments:
Wonderful...what a tresure trove! I sure love those in the tiny little frames...we need to look for more of those on Friday...Thrift Day!!!
Mooseheart, Il....ugh, what a name! Who would name their town that?
Post a Comment