Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Friending" Social Media

Back when I was a newbie to social media, I tentatively dipped my toe into "myspace".  It was a struggle, but I was determined to learn the ins and outs of the site.  After awhile, everyone I was following turned to facebook, and I was reluctantly dragged along.

Well . . . what an eye opener and a life~changing experience!  Gradually, and after many attempts, old friends, cousins, cousins' children suddenly became part of my life.  This list included relatives I had never met, schoolmates from my old home town who I went K thru 12 with.  People I hadn't seen or heard from in years were at the tips of my fingers with news traveling at lightning speed between us. 

Just this past week, a friend from high school did me a huge favor.  She lives in the opposite corner of the country ... Florida, but spends summers in Minnesota.  She mentioned she would be visiting her parents grave sites.  Since I will probably never be going back to what I call the "old country", I asked if she would leave a message on my Dad's grave.  After typing up a few words and emailing them, she printed them out, put them in a baggy and carried it to the cemetery.  She called me on her cell as she was standing in front of Dad's stone to make sure it was the right place.


 This sweet friend even added a single red rose and fern frond.  I can't thank you enough Jeannie and definitely owe you a big one!

And yesterday, my cousin Ann, who also lives in Florida, sent me three copies of a family cookbook to share with my daughter and son.  It contains recipes from my Aunt Patsy who was a marvelous cook and a great gal ... always smiling and with a good word for everyone she met.  To be in her presence was a joy!  Miss her dearly. 

 Professionally bound in three~ring binder


And there it was!!!  My all~time favorite recipe from Aunt Patsy.  As soon as the weather cools and I get me some parchment paper and raisins, I will be making these cookies and raise a toast to the Reagan clan with a hot cup of coffee.  May even add a little Irish to it.


 How appropo ...  Grandpa, Grandma and their offspring (my Dad far left, Leone, Tom and Patsy far right) ... all of them sweet, saucy and more!

 

3 comments:

Debbie said...

How wonderful for your friend to do that for you!! So touching and the recipe looks like a great one. Have fun baking up a storm.

Unknown said...

How wonderful...such a dear sweet friend. How touching.

Glad you have the cookbook...how special is that. I've got parchment paper and can bring some for you on Monday...then maybe I can have a cookie when you make them! :)

sharnymcclarny said...

I didn't even know where to find parchment paper (or what it looks like!) at Walmart Thurs. so I just gave up. Would appreciate some. Thanx