Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Leaf Impressions

October is coming to an end, but while the leaves are still on the ground and pliable, I would like to offer this tutorial.  I posted it a few years ago and thought it was relevant for today.  So much fun and instantly gratifying! 


I made a watercolor leaf impression, added a Hallmark pin, a quote and let the papers do the work for me!

Leaf impressions are so simple and fun to do.  First you pick a leaf shape that you like.  I know you can find a leaf laying around somewhere.

Best if it isn't so dry that it would be brittle when pressed down.  I picked these redbud leaves (which were turning yellow) right from the tree


Then I got out my paints ... you absolutely do not need artist grade watercolors.  A child's pallette will work just fine.

Daub on the paint.  Don't forget the stem!  Again any old brush will do.  The more colors you use the better . . . just make sure it isn't too wet.  You'll get the feel of it after you make one or two impressions.



Flip it over onto your selected paper and press every area.  I find it helpful to lay a piece of paper over the leaf (in other words sandwich the leaf between your "chosen" paper and any other paper) and rubbing it good to wring out every bit of detail possible.



Voila!

and Voila!!


This impression was taken from a leaf I had in my flower press.  It took a few attempts before the paint stuck very well but I think it was well worth it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So lovely, so timely!