Known for their folded blanket wraps and sideways glances, the Skookum
Indian Dolls were patented in 1914 by their designer Mary McAboy. Made
until 1960 by the H.H. Tammen Company of Denver, the dolls represented
nearly every American Indian tribe. Of the wonderful little folk dolls,
no two are alike.
I have always treasured this small collection of Skookum dolls, but it is time to simplify my life. Hopefully, by posting them in my etsy shop, they will go to a collector who will similarly fall in love with them, hold them for awhile and then pass them on to another who will appreciate their uniqueness.
These two papoose were originally meant as souvenirs to send in the mail. One still has a partial tag attached. Each are only a bit over three inches tall, have stuffed trade blankets as wraps and composite faces.


2 comments:
I remember having one, that is if they are made of plastic. I bet those aren't. Good memories though.
How cute. I have a few Indian Dolls. Not like yours which are really cute. love the blankets. Mine are from Alaska and Canada. That are in my cedar chest, thanks for the reminder I should get them out.
Nancy Jo
Post a Comment