In the throes of another holiday spending season, I think back to my childhood and the sparse Christmas spending in my family. I was always thrilled with my gifts ... especially those from Santa, but it was not an avalanche of extravagantly wrapped and beribboned glut. People didn't go into debt to prove their love in those days.
I grew up with all four grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins. We would all get together on "the day", eat heartily and play games after doing the dishes. Sometimes we kids would each get a dime and walk down to Main Street to the movies. (In other words get out of the hair of the adults!)
Several years ago I sent my Mother this picture collage that I put together showing us being dressed alike. She made most of our clothes. The blouse in this photo was made from a silk parachute my Dad sent or brought home from his time in Europe during WW2. We made good use of it as undies, these blouses, etc.
Who else had Mothers who sewed? And made look alike clothes for you?
Wishing you all wonderful memorable meaningful Christmases with your families.

1 comment:
I absolutely love your collage. I have been wanting to make a collage quilt to honor the women in our family and looking for ideas to inspire me. Your collage is the prettiest thing that I have seen so far and i've been looking of ideas for at least two years. You did a beautiful job! I love the black and white photo and all the lace trim.
Connie :)
Post a Comment