Some may call it a waste of time, but when time is all you have, you fill it with the most mundane of inessential goofing off. Over the years I have admired the works in "Galloping Pony Studio" (check it out on Pinterest) and the way Virginia Cole adds bits of quilt pieces, buttons, quotes, sayings, etc to her collages. I especially like the little Dresden plate pieces and wanted to replicate them in miniature as she does.
At first I tried making paper patterns of what I thought would work for the pieces it takes to build the plates . . . big mistake! After spending nearly a day trying to figure that out (with the help of the internet), I gave up and ordered Marti Michell PERFECT PATCHWORK TEMPLATES. Just exactly what I wanted to make a 3.5" plate.
The first one I struggled through didn't turn out the way I really wanted . . .
As always happens, you learn from the first try and, if you are as stubborn as this blogger, you try again.
Then I looked closer at the Pinterest offerings from Virginia's site and saw that she made another Dresden plate pattern than the one I had been struggling with.
What a difference the pointed petal made to save time (although I have plenty of that) and picky picky work forming the curves. This one went together so quickly, I feel like I have to make more of them.
These were made from the tiny pieces of vintage fabric I have been collecting for years. It's a small thing, but I feel I have accomplished something new for myself.
I
No comments:
Post a Comment